The application deadline for the 2020/2021 year has passed. Tapping of new members occurred online!
An online application and hard copy application are both required. The deadline to submit both your online application and a hard copy of your application
is Friday, February 14th by 4:30pm in AD 101.
Once you have completed the online application, please print out the requested materials and submit your hard copy application to the address below:
Dr. Jane K. Smith
Mortar Board: AD 101
San Diego State University
San Diego, CA 92182-1623
Fourty-five applicants will be selected for membership. The ceremonial membership tapping will occur during class time the week of March 16th – 19th. Membership Applicants: please be in attendance for all classes during this week.
Have more questions? See our Membership Applications FAQs below. If your question has not been answered on the FAQs page, please contact Mortar Board Adviser Cassie Neel at [email protected].
Advantages of Membership
Membership in Mortar Board is not only an honor but an opportunity to become associated with a national organization which will bring you lifelong enjoyment and recognition. Additionally, membership provides:
- Opportunities to meet and work with accomplished students from a multitude of disciplines and age groups
- Opportunities for career placement and advancement through contacts with Mortar Board Alumni
- Opportunities to be considered for a local Mortar Board scholarship which is awarded annually to an outstanding member of the Cap and Gown Chapter
- Opportunities to apply for National Mortar Board Fellowships
Membership in Mortar Board will offer you a fulfilling year of service to your university and community.
Criteria for admission to Mortar Board at SDSU:
- Full-time student at SDSU with senior standing for the fall semester and an SDSU GPA and overall grade point average of 3.2 or better (no exceptions)
- Participation and excellence in the following three areas: scholarship, leadership, and service (only those students who have excelled in all three areas will be considered)
Membership in Mortar Board means active involvement and a commitment to serve the university and the community.
- One-time national fee of $80
- Local dues set by chapter: $10
- Monthly meetings
- Serving on a committee
- Participating in membership selection, tapping, initiation, and special events
Membership Application FAQs
How does Mortar Board define senior standing?
A student is considered a senior when they have completed 90 or more units. We accept students who will be seniors in the Fall of 2020, so we count units completed and units in progress for Spring of 2020.
Although I am currently studying abroad, am I still eligible for Mortar Board?
Yes. Please submit your application via the Qualtrics application and mail one hardcopy of your application in a sealed envelope to Dr. Jane K. Smith in Administration 101 (AD-101) SDSU, San Diego, CA 92182-1623. Or you may email your application packet to Cassie Neel at [email protected] and she will print and submit a hardcopy for you.
If I plan to study abroad in the Fall of 2020 or in the Spring of 2021, am I still eligible for Mortar Board?
Yes. If you choose to study abroad, you are exempt from active participation for that semester, but you must be active for at least one semester in Mortar Board.
For the essay prompt, can I discuss an experience that I included in my resume?
Yes. We want you to provide us with as much information as possible so that we can make an informed decision about you as an applicant. If you want to expand on a particular experience that is acceptable; however, that does not mean to explicitly restate all the information that you provide in your resume.
How do I print my Mortar Board application through Qualtrics?
After you submit your application in the Internet browser, print the summary on the next page.
- If you are still experiencing issues, contact Cassie Neel at [email protected].