The ceremonial membership tapping of our 45 new members for 21-22 has occured virtually.
Advantages of Membership
Membership in Mortar Board is not only an honor but an opportunity to become associated with a national organization which will bring you lifelong enjoyment and recognition. Additionally, membership provides:
- Opportunities to meet and work with accomplished students from a multitude of disciplines and age groups
- Opportunities for career placement and advancement through contacts with Mortar Board Alumni
- Opportunities to be considered for a local Mortar Board scholarship which is awarded annually to an outstanding member of the Cap and Gown Chapter
- Opportunities to apply for National Mortar Board Fellowships
Membership in Mortar Board will offer you a fulfilling year of service to your university and community.
Criteria for admission to Mortar Board at SDSU:
- Full-time student at SDSU with senior standing for the fall semester and an SDSU GPA and overall grade point average of 3.2 or better (no exceptions)
- Participation and excellence in the following three areas: scholarship, leadership, and service (only those students who have excelled in all three areas will be considered)
Membership in Mortar Board means active involvement and a commitment to serve the university and the community.
- One-time national fee: $80
- Local chapter dues: $10
- Monthly meetings
- Serving on a committee or holding a leadership position
- Participating in membership selection, tapping, initiation, and special events
Membership Application FAQs
How does Mortar Board define senior standing?
A student is considered a senior when they have completed 90 or more units. We accept students who will be seniors in the Fall semester, so we count units completed and units in progress for the previous Spring semester.
If I plan to study abroad in the Fall or Spring semester, am I still eligible for Mortar Board?
Yes. If you choose to study abroad, you are exempt from active participation for that semester, but you must be active for at least one semester in Mortar Board. If you are studying abroad for the entirity of your last year at SDSU, then you are not eligible to apply to Mortar Board.